Sunday 30 March 2014

LOVE AND DIAMONDS (EPISODE ELEVEN)

So this is it. I am so sorry for the long wait and absence. So I made this episode longer for wonderful people like you. I am sorry to announce that I will be going on a break because I will be starting my exam till after the Easter meaning np holiday for me but don't worry, when I come back, I will come back better. Thank you meanwhile enjoy today's episode.

KAINENE


I was in front of the mirror in my room consciously looking at the dress I had picked for the night. It was a new dress I had bought with Preye earlier in the  afternoon from the mall after I left Barrister Ademola’s office. I had a date with Raymond tonight just some hours before the trial. When Raymond called earlier, he sounded a bit over the edge. I tried to pry the reason out of him but he was not giving out anything except that we needed to talk and to celebrate our pending success tomorrow but I guessed it was more than just normal talk.

“You want to talk about something babe.” I had enquired.

“No Nene. I will be there at 6:45. I love you” He said and disconnected.


I shifted myself away from the mirror and turned to Amina who was lying on the bed, typing and laughing at the same time. I didn’t need to guess who she was chatting with. Her wedding to Eedris was in a month’s time and the whole house was already buzzing with activities. She had refused her parent’s decision to have the Nikkai in Kaduna and her fiancĂ© had agreed with her.

“Amina”


“Hmm” She answered looking away from her phone to me.


“I am scared.” She was the first person I was admitting my fears to. I hadn’t thought about the consequences of losing the case though it had been tugging at my heart right after I left the lawyer’s chambers.


“Why?” she asked sitting up straight on the bed.


“I don’t know. Tomorrow decides my fate and I can’t help thinking about the outcome. What if something goes wrong?” I asked."

“Nothing is ever going to go wrong.Just be confident and tactfully answer any question you’re asked..” She said. “Why are we even talking about this?”


I shrugged and changed the topic. I didn’t want this to spoil my mood tonight. “How do I look?”


“Raymond wouldn’t know what hit him tonight. Make sure you have fun and don’t forget to discuss your fears with Ray, he is the best person to talk to.”


“Lots of practice with Eedris right?”


“Maybe. But I know I feel light headed after I talk to him.”


“I will try that tonight.” I said. I had spent a greater part of my life making decisions without consulting anybody not because I didn’t want to but because there was nobody to consult.   I know it sometimes pisses Ray off when I shut him out. I picked my purse from the table after I had checked myself again in front of the mirror and walked towards the door following Amina.


“Make sure you do.”

“Thanks Amina” I said giving her a smile as soon as we got to the front of my room. She hugged me instead. “Have fun and extend my regards to Raymond.”


I nodded after she pulled away. She went down the hallway towards her room while I went towards the staircase. The cool night breeze greeted me as soon as I opened the door. I wrapped the shawl tightly round my shoulders wondering why Ray didn’t come into the house like he usually does as I walked towards his favourite parking space where his car was parked right now. Raymond met me halfway to his car and enveloped me in a tight hug like he was trying to draw strength from me. His face buried deep into my neck. I wound my arms around his neck offering the best I could. I felt his chest beating erratically over mine. We were in that position for a while. When it seemed he wasn’t letting go of me in any distant moment, I said, “Ray” but he didn’t respond.


“Ray” I called again this time shaking him gently. He reluctantly pulled away.


“I am sorry Nene. Let’s go now. I made a reservation for 7:30.” He rambled off.


I tried searching his eyes but they were unreadable, they were guarded, his lips set in a tight line as he ran his hands over his hair. I knew Raymond was trying his best to suppress whatever emotion he was feeling now. He was an expert at concealing his emotions after shutting himself out from the rest of the world for two years after Olivia’s death.


I held my hands on top of his own when he was about to open the door to the passenger seat.
“Let me drive.”


“Why?”


“It is obvious something is bothering you even though you don’t want to share. I cannot allow you drive in this state of mind.”


“I am okay babe, I can drive us safely. It’s just a minor problem.”
He gave me a small smile.


“Are you sure it’s that minor? Because what you did now didn’t look minor to me at all.”


“Yes it is Kainene. Just drop it okay and let’s get the hell out of here.” He snapped at me. I raised an eyebrow dropping my hands beside my body and took a step backwards.


Realizing what he did, he came towards me and said, “I am sorry Nene” apologizing for the second time in the space of ten minutes. “I didn’t mean to say that. I am fine okay. Let’s go please before our food gets cold.” He said trying to lessen the tension between us.



RAYMOND

‘It was not alright at all’ I thought as I drove past the quiet streets of Wuse. The atmosphere in the car was a bit tense despite the fact that the air conditioner was on. Emeli Sande’s Clown was playing in the background. I took a glance at Nene but she had her face turned towards the window. I felt bad for snapping at her earlier. She was not to be a victim of my grumpiness tonight. I had allowed my emotions to get the better of me and those memories which I had successfully buried were now resurrecting one after the other.


Earlier today, I was visited by my past. I had taken a break from the work load on the table to calm my nerves and stood by the window overlooking the busy street over a glass of non-alcoholic wine. Startled by the noise of a human making an entrance into my office unannounced, I turned and there she was. My secretary was right behind on her heels,

 “I am sorry sir. I tried stopping her but …”

I waved her off. “You can go back to your office. I will handle this.” I said looking at the woman who had the power to regurgitate my breakfast. She nodded. I waited for her to leave and then turned to her who had already made herself comfortable on the exquisite brown sofa.

“What are you doing here Emmanuella?”

Emmanuella had one time been the only person that was able to drag me out of the grief that surrounded me after Olivia’s death .I had met her at a bar which had become my favourite place. We exchanged numbers, talked over alcohol and jumped into bed. Six months later she left without notice till now.
She stalled answering; instead she fiddled with the golden band of her Iphone 5.

“I asked you a question . "
     .”
“Well, I just came back into the country few days ago and decided to pay a visit to an old friend.”


“Old friend huh?”


“Yes. Last time I checked, it was not a crime to call on old friends. Before I forget, there is something you need to know.”


“What would that be? Everything we had ended four years ago when you left  without a word.”


“It didn’t end. I only chose to leave because I wasn’t ready to be the centre of attraction. I was carrying your daughter inside me and my father would have disowned me if he found out. What would people say if they found out I was carrying your child less than a year after your wife died? I left because of us and now I am back.”


I shook my head. “No! no! you are bluffing Emma. I cannot have a daughter with you. Its not just possible. We used protection throughout those times.”


“So you have forgotten the night we conceived our baby. The night you were so drunk and called me up by one y b to pick you and you were practically begging me to give you the shag of a life time when we got to my house.”


“What? That night was a mistake. I was vulnerable and needed comfort. You were not supposed to take advantage of a drunken helpless man. Were you not mature enough? Didn’t you think of the consequences?"

  " Clearly, I can remember you savoured every bit of it, begging for more. I came back to complete our little family with you and Naeto and your daughter has been dying to meet you.” She said and dialed a number on her phone.


“Hello, please give MoirĂ© the phone”


“Mommy!” came a chirpy voice at the other end of the line. It was on loudspeaker.


“Hello baby, how are you?”


“Fine, mommy.”


“Do you want to speak to your daddy? He is right here with me.” She asked and handed the phone to me.


“Hello daddy, I want to see you.” The little girl at the other end spoke excitedly into the phone. I felt the colour drain from my face. It was true. I had a daughter somewhere. Somehow, I let the phone drop to the floor and the sound it made on landing the floor made me regain my composure and turn to Emmanuella who had already picked the phone from the floor. “I think you should just leave.”


She laughed humourlessly. "Your daughter is waiting for you and she needs you.” She said and picked up her bag and exited herself from my office.



Hearing Nene’s voice was enough to calm me down and stop me from destroying the gadgets in my office and now, I had just vented my anger on her. I turned to look at her but she was still in her former position. I felt her stiffen under my touch as I place my free hand on hers resting on her laps. She turned.


“Are we okay?” I asked moving my fingers over hers in hope I would get a positive response.

“Yes.”


 I smiled squeezing her hand and steered the gear towards Golden Waters.

KAINENE

Ray led the way into the posh and exclusive restaurant of Golden Waters Hotel. The hotel was the kind that the first thing you notice once you open the door was the beautiful chandelier hanging on top the ceiling. A corner of the room was the dining section and the left housed the bar. Furthermore into the restaurant was the VIP section where Ray and I were headed.. Somehow, we managed to put what happened earlier behind us. I told myself time will heal whatever that’s bothering Ray. He only does things when he wants to though he has a thing for being spontaneous. I was listening and laughing to what he was saying about spoiling me with food in an attempt to make me look more like an African woman and to keep me strong for tomorrow when I heard my name. I turned towards the source of the voice and there was Biola, my colleague. The last time I saw her was at the meeting with the Mogajis three weeks ago.


"Hi Biola" I said extending my arms for a handshake but got  a hug instead. I was taken aback by her gesture. I have never been on a friendship level with Biola. We only say a casual hello each time we see so the hug was something unusual but I hugged her back.


"How are you Kainene? We have really missed you in the department." She said with a sweetness  I have never associated her with.

               
"I missed you guys too and the kids." I replied with the same sweetness if not more. " So what's up in the department?"


"Well, news has it that Chief is planning to retire in two months time."


I nodded. He had told me himself.

 Won't you introduce me to this gorgeous hunk beside you?"


"Forgive my manners." I said slightly touching my forehead, careful not to ruin my make-up.

"Biola, this is Raymond; Ray, this is Biola"

"How are you Raymond? I didn't know Kainene has been hiding such a Nigerian Brad Pitt?"


"Probably because she wants me to herself."


I elbowed him lightly to Biola's amusement. He chuckled and wound his arms round my waist.


"You guys make such an amazing couple."


"Thank you." Ray replied.


"So the trial is tomorrow right?" She asked bringing up the dreaded topic.


"Yes Biola. Hopefully the burden will be lifted tomorrow and I can come back to work."

"Sure it will and we will be there to support you."

"Thanks Biola."

" Have   a lovely night" and with that she walked away.


# # # #

"She was the one that took over your files right?" Raymond asked as we sat on our table situated by the window arranging the napkins on our laps while waiting for the waiter who had gone to get our orders.



I nodded. Raymond took the hand I had dropped on the table admiring them like they were rare diamonds.  I felt a rush of blood down my spine at the contact.


"I like them. They are so soft." He said picking one finger massaging it softly for few seconds before moving to the next one. If only if he knew the effect his action had on me. He only stopped when the waiter returned with our orders. I withdrew my hand and tucked into the food before me. I settled for vanilla pannecotta as dessert while Ray went for sticky date pudding.



We toasted to success and love over a bottle of Chamdor wine. I confided in him my fears as Amina had suggested. He listened without interrupting; one of the things I love about the man sitting opposite me. He suggested I come over to his house.



 "No babe, I think it's better I stay at the house."


I decided to ask Raymond what was bothering him earlier but his only response was taking my hands, gazing into my eyes intently and then running his free hand along the length of my face. I waited for him to say something but he didn't.

 After what seemed like an eternity, he smiled and then said "Ease off Nene. You need to see the way your face looks right now." I smiled abashedly.



 "I don’t think anybody has fused over me like the way you do but that’s one of the things I love about you. You can be such a mother hen but hey, this guy is not that old to be mothered and I like it when you do that.”

I pouted.


“I am good you can see and I just had a lovely dinner with the most amazing, beautiful, intelligent, witty and loyal woman who wouldn't mind if I ask her to be  
Mrs Nwachukwu." He said producing a small box engraved Harry Winston. He opened it to reveal a platinum band     with  a 5 carat emerald diamond stone at the  centre.  It was beautiful.


I gasped. I knew Raymond  could't think I am ready to take the bold step.


 I love Raymond. I love everything about him, the way his face lights up whenever he sees me or we make eye contact, the little gestures like the gifts he sends every now and then. I wondered how he got to know about my cravings for chocolates and never missed delivering a box of my favourite every week. I love the way he adores his son and when we kiss, I feel fireworks go off in my head and I literally forget where I am and when we end it, it only leaves wanting for more. He is a good father, brother and son though I am yet to meet his mum and sisters and I have no doubt he will make a good husband too but I am not ready.




 I was about to tell him this when suddenly his mobile vibrated on the table. He picked it up with his free hand and spoke into the speaker. He ended the call three minutes later. He had a gloomy expression on his face. His jaw had dropped and the lines on his face were visible. His facial expression resembled that of a wounded lion.

"Ray, what's the matter?"


"Nene, they have escaped." I felt myself sink ten times deeper into an ocean.

7 comments:

  1. chidinma Ezenwelu31 March 2014 at 07:32

    Another one of its kind . Always fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrrrrgrrrhhhh what a way to end the episode. Good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice 1! I can't believe I have to wait till after Easter to continue this...arrrghhh! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting read. Me luvit!

    How do I go about following? Blogger/blogspot sites are a tad complicated on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. U mean I'm gonna wait til after easter? Mehn dat's too long. Success in ur exams. #ADAH

    ReplyDelete
  6. we are still expecting you, what is happening now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you tired already? You have been doing a wonderful job. Please update this blog.

    ReplyDelete