Saturday 15 February 2014

INEVITABLE JOURNEY

This is by no means to spoil the joy and love associated with this season. So enjoy this great piece from a friend of mine.



****

As I watched my image in the mirror, I understood the seriousness of my situation. My friends and family all made it seem like I was normal, but I only realized my predicament as I looked at myself or what I thought was me.
“Nkem” she shouted. “What on earth are you doing here all alone? C’mon.” She said pulling me away from my dressing mirror.

“No” I protested. “Just look at me, I am gradually fading away”.

 Unsuccessfully, Chibu tried to hide the pain behind her eyes. I saw that she was struggling so hard to fight back the tears. She turned away sharply, but only too late. Her tears betrayed her.
 I turned back to my dressing mirror, stroking my hair, some amount of hair came off as I stroked. 

Reality struck me. I was going to die! I was going to leave my family and my best friend behind. I burst into a fresh round of tears, my fierce sobs violently shaking my already frail body.

Chibu rushed to my side as she had always done whenever I needed her. She was the sister I never had. We had known each other for twelve years; though it seemed like we had known each other all our lives. People never understood our friendship for we were different in every way possible. We had different physical attributes: standing at 5ft 11inches, I outsized her petite 5ft 4 inches frame. We also had different complexions; her milky skin looked almost white compared to my ebony skin. In fact, the only thing we had in common was the street where we lived, Taiwo Ade Street. My family moved in three months before hers and from the moment we saw each other, we became inseparable.
As I wept my heart out, she wept with me, hugging me close. “Why? Why?” I kept asking. “I am only sixteen. I don’t want to die.”

“Don’t talk like that Nkem, you are not going to die.”

“But I will.” I screamed. “I am suffering from a terminal disease! Oh God! I don’t want to die.”

It seemed like hours we were together, tightly clasped in each other’s arms, not wanting to let go.
All of a sudden, my head began to spin, I felt myself gradually losing consciousness.

“Chibu” I whispered barely able to talk. “Call mummy.”

With alarm written all over her face, she ran towards the stairs, screaming along the way. It was almost midnight when I regained consciousness. My surroundings seemed unfamiliar. The bed was hard and uncomfortable; my throbbing head didn’t help matters either. It took me about two minutes to realize that I was on a hospital bed. Chibu was by my right holding my hand. She was asleep. My mother was also asleep on the couch adjacent to my bed. I felt so sorry for my poor mother. Since my diagnosis nine months ago, she had become a shadow of herself. She had lost her usual charm and cheer.

I was tired of putting everyone through pain. I guessed it was time to give up. I had suffered so much, going through endless series of tests, surgeries and medication. My parents had spent so much on my treatments, though this was nothing compared to the emotional trauma they were passing through. It was hopeless. I was suffering from a malignant brain tumour. My death was inevitable. All hope was lost when two weeks earlier, I stopped responding to treatment. My condition had deteriorated dramatically since the past week

“Chibu.” I called. She woke up in a start.

“Nkem” She gasped. “Are you okay?”

“I will be soon.” I replied.

“What do you mean?” She asked, sitting up. “Are you feeling better?” Relief showing slightly on her face.

“No, but I will be soon.”

“What exactly are you talking about?”

“I am going to die Chibu.”

“No you are not! Don’t talk like that.”

I sensed the fear in her voice and held her hand tighter.

“Promise me ...”I lost my breath.

“Nkem” she screamed. “Don’t leave me" she begged.

“I have to go, I am in such pain. But promise me you’ll never forget me.”

Hot tears of sorrow flowed down her eyes as she stared wide-eyed at me.

“I can never forget you. You are my best friend.”

I smiled and said, “Tell my mummy that I love her. Tell her I will miss her badly.” I held back the tears threatening to escape. With a weakened breath I barely managed to continue, “Tell her not to feel so bad. My sufferings and hers will be over.”

“No” she protested hugging me tightly as though that would prevent the eager hands of death from taking me away. “You can’t leave me, what will I do without you? Don’t go!” She screamed.

It was too late. I had taken my last breath.


Written by Chidimma(Chiddles).

9 comments:

  1. You won't be writing this if you had taken your last breath. Beautiful piece all d same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I thought so too. The first person point of view doesn't work in this story where the main character eventually died. But I love the sadness in the story.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully scripted. It arouse a deep rooted well of emotion in me. Short as I like them to be. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pain, the sadness, the realization of loss...you did good here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written (except for the narrative voice). I could feel her pain, which I believe was the aim of the flash fiction. Job well done.

    Do check my blog at www.kelvinoralph.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful work of art i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this work is wonderful and the writer has shown a lot of creative potentials

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnificent piece

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks y'all. She will definetely read your comments. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete