Wednesday 5 February 2014

LOVE AND DIAMONDS(EPISODE EIGHT)


KAINENE

"What?" I asked lifting myself from the floor where I was sprawled some minutes ago and walked towards Preye.


"Who is Stephanie?" She asked again. I ransacked my mind but the name Stephanie didn't come up.


"I don't know. I can't remember anybody with that name." I took the phone wondering how she was able to track the sender of the strange message. I opened the message, it was still the same. No addition nor subtraction. I wanted to know how she was able to track the sender.
 "How did you do it?"

"Just the normal way." She replied eating out of the long forgotten popcorn. Oh! I forgot, Preye was the computer guru in the house but still the name Stephanie didn't ring a bell. Amina took the phone from me while I went back to shut down my laptop.

 I was backing the television when Preye said, "Kaine, what’s your picture doing on the screen?"

 I turned and behold was my picture on in-set. The Mogajis were being interviewed by the press. Great! Now what? I sighed and moved closer to the screen. "Please increase the volume Preye." I said.

"It is a dark period for the Mogajis whose only son died mysteriously in one of the leading hospitals in Nigeria located in Abuja last weekend. The picture you see inserted in the corner is that of the young doctor who is suspected to have caused the death of the young heir. Sir, we are aware that you had just concluded the burial rites for your son, are you going to leave the matter or demand justice for your son?"

"Yes we are going to demand for justice. He was our only son. Who wouldn't?"

"How do you intend to achieve that sir?"

"We are going to sue the hospital and demand their license be revoked."

"What about the doctor?"

"She will be facing criminal charges."

"What if ...?" The journalist was cut off by the Mogaji's armed security men. He straightened his rumpled shirt as a result of the rough handling by the security. He continued
"As we just heard, the Mogaji's are clear on their statement. They are suing the most notable and leading hospital in northern Nigeria, St Anne's hospital and they are ready to unleash their arsenals. Let's see how this works for them as they pursue justice for their son. I am Davis Clark reporting for TVC."
To say I was perplexed would be an understatement of what I felt at that moment. I stood arms akimbo still staring at the TV already turned off by Preye. I didn't expect them to grant that interview to the press. This is going to be even more complicated than I had thought initially. Amina had that look on her face that tells me she was thinking about the right words to say but couldn't find any. Preye suggested we should just call it a day and go to bed. We went upstairs to our rooms saying nothing to each other deep in thought. One person's problem was the other's.


RAYMOND

I was sitting in my study trying to sort out some files and going over the company’s accounts for the month. I was lucky that Naeto had fallen asleep quite early if not he would have occupied me with stories of what happened in school or what Tammy did or didn’t do. Tammy was my little boy’s crush at only five years old. I read some of the mails and sent them to trash after which I logged onto the company’s website. Fifteen minutes into that, my phone buzzed on the table. It was Henshaw. I answered it. “My guy, what’s up now?”

“Fine. You dey close to your TV?”

“No.” I replied curtly wondering what my television had to do with what Henshaw wanted to say. I have never been a fan of television but I had to keep them in my home because of my kid and visitors.

“You sef, you no dey like TV, why you come put am for house? Na for decoration?”

I laughed. “I have a little kid at home now. What do you expect?”

He continued rambling in pidgin. “E be like say I just see your girlfriend picture on TV?”

“What?” I asked surprised leaving the study heading towards the main sitting room.

“Check TVC. I watch the tin like two hours ago but e be like say them dey do a re-broadcast now. If you no se am check 360nobs or Linda Ikeji, you no say she like news too much. This one your girlfriend wan enter the same trouser with  big names for this country.”

“Thanks for the info, I’ll check it now.” I said an disconnected the call. I turned on the TV and scrolled to the channel and there it was; a picture of Nene on inset and the parents of Fatai being interviewed by the journalists. She had told me about the meeting this afternoon when we spoke but I didn’t know it would escalate to this before the end of the day. Being on the news was a different ball game altogether because you would have to constantly hide from people  especially all the overzealous journalists who liked to find dirt on people even when there  was none. I had once been a victim and  that was the reason  I had  a pseudo name in my acquired businesses. I tried Nene’s number but it was switched off. I knew exactly what to do at that moment. I opened my phonebook and searched for a particular contact I hadn’t used in years. I found the number and I dialled. At the first ring, Brad’s familiar deep and husky voice said, “Hello.”

“Brad, please I need you to do a favour for me. Come to my office tomorrow and I will give you the details.”

KAINENE

I didn’t bother going to work the next day so I decided to utilise my free time to treat myself to some good things of life and  at the same time  steer my mind off the mess I had found myself in. I brought out my planner and wrote down; spa, salon, bookshop and indulging myself in a series of movie watching.  I visited the spa first then the salon which was also situated in the same building. I drove down to zone 11 to Perfect bookshop where I picked some books. As I was about leaving the bookshop, I caught a flicker of light on my face. ‘Great, so these people are now following me around.’  Thankfully, I was with my sunshade, so I wore it and walked quickly to my car and drove home. The pleasant aroma of food in the kitchen wafted to my nose as soon as I opened the door reminding me that I didn’t have breakfast. As if on cue, the little parasitic worms in my stomach began their ritual dance. I went to the kitchen to see that Amina was the architect behind the delicious food. I went upstairs and changed into some casual wear and went back to the kitchen to help her in preparing a lunch of Egusi soup and semolina. Few minutes after we were done, the doorbell rang and I opened it to reveal Barbra and behind her was Chris.


RAYMOND

I was on my way to Nene’s house the next day at the close of work. Having tried her number and it was still switched off; I decided to make a brief stop at her place. I was already at the t-junction leading to Nene’s street when suddenly there was a shrill ear piercing sound capable of impairing the organ of hearing. . Two cars had collided with each other. The first car, a black Mercedes collided with a Toyota corolla and the effect of that collision had caused the car to somersault three times up in the air eventually landing on its side. I was few cars way from the accident and the drivers of the two cars in front of me had already fled the scene. I left my car and was able to solicit the help of some bystanders who were still loitering around to either snap the accident victims or to determine the first person who will be the Good Samaritan. It was a gory sight. The major parts of the car were damaged.

The drivers were youngsters whom their parents had given the free liberty to drive cars and the worst of it all, they weren’t even putting on seatbelts. We succeeded in pulling the young man out but then he was badly injured. Pieces of glass had found its way into every visible part of this body. Blood was oozing out everywhere. His head was greatly affected. A part of the skull was visible to the eye. Miraculously, he was still breathing.  Some other persons helped to pull the second driver out who  was not injured as the first driver but then he had bruises all over his body and was having difficulty in breathing, we succeeded in keeping them awake till the paramedics arrived some minutes later. I left the scene and continued my journey but not without blood stains on my shirt.


KAINENE

“What are you doing here Chris?” I asked my estranged brother in disbelief. It had been 22 long years since I last saw him yet, I would recognize him anywhere. The dimples on his cheeks that showed anytime he laughed or was deep in thought, the permanent scar he had gotten on his forehead at the age of eight when he was testing the boiling ring mother had just used. He hadn’t changed much. We had the same pointed nose we had inherited from my mother. It seemed my mother had the dominant genes because the only thing I inherited from my father was his eyes and stubbornness.  Mother was a tall huge woman but the sufferings from father coupled with my father’s illness reduced her to a shadow of herself before her death.

“Won’t you let us in? We just came all the way from Lagos and I am so famished.” Barbra said

“Why did you bring him here?” I asked

“Let them in Kaine.” Amina who had come in from the kitchen said passing a message through her eyes.

“Can we just talk Adanne? I told you I would explain everything that  ... “

“Talk about what Christopher?” I asked, cutting him off. “I made it clear to you to just forget about me.”

“But I am the only family you have left.”

“Really?”

“Yes, unless you are married.”

“How is that your business?”

“Who is he?”

I scoffed “Am I supposed to answer that?”

“Just hear him out.” Amina said coming to stand between us.

Barbra who had been admiring the portraits used to decorate the sitting room turned and said, “Kaine, he told me some of the reasons.  Just let him explain.”

“Explain so what should happen guys? Do you even know what I went through? Are you asking me to allow him explain and then he goes ahead to ask for forgiveness? Do you think twenty two years is here?  God!”

“Stop being stubborn Adanne. It was not as if I didn’t think about you and mum.   You were the only people on my mind every single night. It was not easy for me but I had to leave at that time.”

“It’s too late for that speech.  You can see I no longer need you. I can take care of myself. You should just go. You will probably find a hotel somewhere down the road if you don’t have anywhere to spend the night. Barbra can stay if she wants to.” 
The doorbell rang as soon as I turned to go back to the kitchen dismissing Chris.

“I am not going anywhere till I have said what I have in mind.”

I turned. “Hmm, I see.”

“If you are not satisfied, I will go but please just hear me out for the sake of the blood we share.”


RAYMOND

Amina open the door when I rang the doorbell, “Hey, Ray, what’s up?”

“Fine.” She was about opening the door wide to let me in when she noticed the blood stains on my shirt.
“What happened?” She asked frowning, confusion written on her face.

“There was an accident on the next street. All these teenagers driving on the road with careless abandon, speeding as if they are on fast and furious.”

“That’s bad, any casualty?”

“No, they were lucky not to have ended up like Paul Walker. The ambulance has taken them to the hospital”

“That’s a lesson for them. I am sure they haven’t even gotten their licenses yet or their rich parents got it for them.

“Where is Nene?” I asked changing the subject.

“She is inside.”

I heard a voice clearly not Nene’s.
“She has august visitors.” Amina said answering the unspoken question. She opened the door to let me in and there were two people, a lady and a man probably around my age clad in formal attire. Nene came to me envelope me in a bear hug which caused me to stagger a bit. I hugged her back savouring the warmth of her body. I could tell she was battling with her emotions.

“Thank God you are here Ray.” She said mumbling onto my shoulder.

“I have been trying to reach you since yesterday.”

“I am sorry. I turned off my phone.”

“Okay. Who are they?”

“Barbra and Chris” She replied. A look at the man was enough. The resemblance was too much for siblings even though they were of different sexes. He begged me with his eyes to persuade Nene to talk to him.
“Talk to him Nene.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Just give him the benefit of doubt and listen to him.”

She pulled away from me.

“Are you also supporting him? You don’t even know him.”

“I don’t know him, yes but I want you to still talk to him, do it for your peace of mind okay? I hate to see you like this. Listen to him just as you do when I rant about Olivia. We will be in the dining.” I said placing my hands on her shoulders appealing to her voice of reason.

She seemed to think for a while before she replied. “Okay Ray.” That was when she noticed the stains on my shirt, her face contorted in a frown. “What happened to you?”

“We will talk about that later.” I replied dragging her to Chris.
“Good luck man.” I said then motioned to Barbra and Amina to join me at the dining room to give them privacy.

10 comments:

  1. Thank God for ray,Kaine will sort out here issues. Fingers crossed on the mogaji.

    Nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this an ongoing series or a fresh new story? Perhaps I've missed a few episodes, perhaps not. But can I make some critiquing? Stories/art. . .they are supposed to imitate life, unless you're writing Science fiction or the like. This is a drama, an every day Nigerian story, and so, we should be able to see it happening to us the way we know it does.
    For instance, when Raymond came to see Kainene. And was introduced to Chris. It's a little far-fetched for you to start asking your girlfriend to listen to comeone you don't know over a situation you are not familiar with. You could have first familiarized Raymond with Chris first before making it so that he tries to persuade Kainene to talk to him. Again, both men are strangers to each other, so it boggles my mind how Raymond will be able to understand from Chris's eyes that he should persuade Kainene to talk to him.
    Secondly, in fiction-writing, every scene has to have a relevance. Anything to add has to have an import somewhere now or further down the story. That's why I asked if this story is just this one or a series. Because, that accident. . .I'm wondering why you introduced it. Does it have a bearing on the story?
    Anyway, good story. Please, take my words in good faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I see it now. It's a series. Episode 8. Didn't catch that earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tink Nene will finally 4giv her brother, Ray wielded d power of a man,Lolz. let me see wot d Mogaji can do in d next episode. Alex thumps up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice write up...suspense filled. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete