Saturday 22 February 2014

LOVE AND DIAMONDS (EPISODE NINE)


KAINENE

I sat down at the sofa looking at Chris jittery tapping my feet. “I am listening.”

He cleared his throat. “Father knew I was going to leave. He did it because he knew he wasn’t going to survive the illness. He arranged with his friend Nwajiuba. Can you remember that man that drove a white beetle car then who used to bring us nice things whenever he visited father?”

I nodded faintly remembering the tall huge man with a funny accent then.

 “He had agreed to take me to the United States so I could learn the ways of the white men. He had gotten a visa and had made the preparations months before father died but because school was still in session; he postponed it till the holidays. That was the year I finished junior class.”

I nodded again recalling those moments.

 

 “He had hid from mum because he knew mum would vehemently object to it because of what happened to her sister, Aunt Regina in the white man’s land. In my first year at college, Nwajiuba had problem with the immigration authorities and he was kept in their custody. Not too long after that the immigration also went looking for me because Nwajiuba had initially gotten a visiting visa for me but he had used his connections to extend my stay till college. I went into hiding for six months until my best friend Blakely convinced his parents to adopt me legally as their child. I tried contacting his family but I couldn’t because only Nwajiuba had their contact. I don’t know if he is still detained by the immigration or has been deported. I graduated with a first class in Information Technology. I got a job immediately in one if the blue-chip companies and was only given a chance to come back two months ago. I went to our neighbourhood in Lagos and that was where I found Barbra who told me what happened. I was devastated Adanne. I couldn’t imagine the pain you went through during mother’s death because it struck me like a powerful arrow laden with poison when I heard mother was no more. I made up my mind to come see you and ask for forgiveness.” He finally concluded this time, sincerity in words evident in his eyes. I was dumbfounded. I attempted opening my mouth but I couldn’t. It was as if bile had found its way into my throat.

“I know that you are still trying to comprehend what I just said but it is the truth. You are my only sister and I pray you to take me back as your family.”

“I am very sorry Chris. I didn’t know that you went through all this and here was I thinking that you had gone frolicking on your own.” I said moving close to where he was seated hugging him, tears streaming down my face.

 

“It’s okay Adanne. I would have done the same if it were me. I am glad to have my sister back.” He pulled away wiping the tears off my face. The doors suddenly burst open and Preye was at the door.

“Whoa, what is happening here? Reconciliation?” She asked. Chris who was backing the door turned.

 

“Preye!”

“Christopher!”

They both shouted at the same time. Amina, Ray and Barbra came into the sitting room.

“Do you guys know each other?”

‘Ahh! Yes we do.” Preye answered, joy clearly written on her face.

“I can’t believe I found you here. It’s been like five years since we saw each other.”

“You are right Chris”

“You have grown so beautiful. I’m looking for that gawky girl who always tampered with my system when I went on breaks in spite of all my warnings but I can’t seem to find her.”

“Don’t wash my dirty linen in public. Don’t forget I was also very indispensable to you.”

“Ah! The coffee girl, how could I forget that? I really missed you and your coffee Preye.” Chris said and came closer for a hug.

“Now you remember.”                                       

“What are you doing here?”                      

“I live here.

Amina cleared her throat. “Do you guys mind sharing the gist while we are all seated?”

Everyone sat down on the sofas.

“How do you guys know each other?”

“I was working under Chris during my IT in his company and then we lost contact after I came back to Nigeria. Don’t tell me Kaine is your sister.”

“Yes she is.”

“Wow, this is just great. If I had known you were her brother, I wouldn’t have allowed her to do all that shakara. It’s wonderful that you guys have reconciled.”

Everyone agreed with Preye. I got up and went to the kitchen. By the time I returned with drinks, the whole room was bursting in argument. The topic was the recent anti-smoking law in Lagos State. I argued in support of the law that it was a welcome development especially the provision concerning kids. It was not wise to send a kid to buy cigarettes and not only stopping there but also smoking in front of the kid just like Uncle Sunday did when I was a kid. I mean what are you teaching that child? Lung cancer? Maybe I spoke from my experience in medical school; seeing patients die of lung cancer as a result of chronic addiction to smoking. The guys were on the opposing side. They argued that supposing they went out with their friends to watch a football match and were asked to move to the non-smoking area, it would not be fun Ray had argued, “The more, the merrier.”

I elbowed him aggressively. “You are supposed to agree with me as your girlfriend.” He laughed and put his arms around me. I snuggled closer to him.

Some minutes later, Amina invited everyone to a late lunch of Egusi soup and semolina. We went back to the sitting room and settled for a game of scrabble. Twenty minutes into that, I got bored and dragged Ray to my room.

“What happened to your shirt?” I asked sitting on the bed, my knees propped up to my shin.

“An accident on the next street.”

“How is my sweetheart?”

“He is fine. He talks about Tammy these days and nothing else. I overheard him tell Lauretta to dress him up quickly because he wanted to see Tammy arrive at school. Lauretta was dumbfounded. You needed the see the expression on her face. Why would my boy be thinking of girls at only five years?”

“Maybe he is taking after his father.” I replied.

“Haba, Nene.” He chuckled. I was not that bad as a kid. I didn’t even like girls when I was his age. I just hope he doesn’t start getting his heart broken this early.”

“You worry too much Raymond. He is just a kid.”

“Yes he is but he is growing up too fast.”

“Seems the Mogajis granted the press an interview.” He said changing the topic.

“Yes.” I replied a myriad of thoughts crossing my mind.

“Was that why you switched off your phone knowing I was going to call you?”

“Not really.”

“Why?” His voice was rising. “You knew I was going to be so worried.”

“I didn’t want to disturb you. It was already late.” I said looking everywhere but at him.

“Have I ever complained?”

“No but then I can take care of myself Raymond. I have been doing that before you came into my life.”

“That’s not a reason Nene. Trust me I know what the press can do. They will monitor your movements, never giving you a breathing space and then spread lies about you. When this happens, will you still have on your ‘I can take care of myself’ attitude?”

“Fine.” I said not wanting an argument to erupt. “I will always tell you but then allow me to sort out some issues myself.”

Ray stood up from his chair and positioned himself beside me on the bed. He took my hands in his and stared into my eyes intently.

“When I told you we were in this relationship together, I also meant I would support you in everything even to my last breath. I want us to climb this obstacle together and triumph together. I have already contacted some people and they will be speaking to us shortly. Perhaps, you should tell Chris about this also.” I nodded.

****************************************************************

 I met with Chris at Salamander Cafe on Monday where we discussed everything from the past back to the present. He decided to stay in Abuja for the rest of his stay in Nigeria. He rented an apartment at Maitama. The next day, I had a meeting with Brad, the private investigator in Ray’s office. He was really huge, an ex military man. I was greatly intimated by his physical attributes. Ray sensing my insecurities casually draped an arm around me assuring me that he meant no harm. Eventually, I warmed up to Brad as we got talking. He was a really nice man with adept knowledge in investigation and criminal issues having worked in the military for at least twenty years.

 

Naeto was looking out for his father in a sea of children outside when I got to his school to pick him up. I waved at him and immediately, he ran towards me flying into my arms.

“Where have you been Nene?”                                           

“I have been around sweetheart.”

“But you did not come to see me.” He accused softly. “I am sorry sweetheart. I will make it up to you hmm?” I said tickling him, gurgles of laughter escaped from him.

“Where is my daddy?”

“He will be working late tonight.” I took his backpack as we strolled to the car. “So tell me, how is Tammy, I didn’t see her.”

His countenance changed. He stalled answering the question till we got to the car and drove out of the school compound.

“You didn’t answer my question sweet heart.”

“She is so disgusting.” He shouted

“That is a mean word to say Naetochukwu. Where did you learn that from?” I chided him.

“I am sorry. I will not say that again.”

“You better not” I said. “So what did she do to you?”

“She refused to let me read her story book and then she refused to play with me today”

 “You know sweetheart, we can’t always get what we wish for, okay.” He nodded.  “So where do you want us to go to?”

“Let’s go to Drumstix.”

 

 

On a Friday a week later, the Mogajis came unannounced to the hospital. They came prepared with two prominent lawyers and men from the Nigerian Police force. They instructed the police officers to arrest and detain me but Barrister Bassey rose to my defense. There was no evidence that would warrant my arrest and detention. This began a legal battle between the learned gentlemen. Unable to bear the heat in the kitchen, they left angrily with a promise that our next meeting would be in a court of law.

 Don't forget to share with your friends and family. Follow on twitter @trixandra.

1 comment:

  1. This is as captivating as it is thrilling. Nice write up. Keep it up and regular please

    ReplyDelete