Monday 9 April 2018

ALWAYS A FIRST TIME


     Today was a day of many firsts for me.  I made my first appearance in Court as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria. At that moment, I felt really proud of myself and exhaled deeply. Beginning of this year, I always felt sad whenever I came across pictures of my colleagues in court with interesting captions. At that time, I had no idea of where I was going to work. I contemplated going into a company and applied for some company jobs. But there was always this nagging voice that came at me, 'So you don't want to wear your wig and gown after spending so much money.' It was painful considering the amount of time, study, efforts and money I spent.Thinking of it now, I plan to drop the wig and gown in about a year or two. 
      Secondly, I saw a passenger-coach train passing at |Ebute-Metta. It was my first time. Watching the train as it passed by was so surreal. I was fixed rooted to a spot till the train passed by. the train was not as fast as I imagined it would be but it was really long with many coaches. However, it did not look as half as fine as the trains advertised on TV. If we had a functional railway system in Nigeria, I would not feel much dread as I usually feel whenever I want to leave the house. 
     I met one of my classmates in Court today and we had a pretty long conversation on the disappointment we felt having entered into the profession. But we were hopeful. There are so many things one can do with a law degree and we must not all practice or go to court.

A pretty good start for a week.

Hasta luego!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment